Which Area – Need Maps

Homepage Forums Talk Huntin’ Minnesota Bear Camp 2009 Which Area – Need Maps

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jarrod Erdody
      Keymaster

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/nextbukoutdoors.com/www/html/cms/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4773

Guys, can you give me the area we’ll be hunting so I can commence to getting some topo maps ordered and load some more detailed maps into my GPS? Thanks,

Jarrod

mobuckhunter

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/nextbukoutdoors.com/www/html/cms/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4773

I have already downloaded the topos for that whole county on my computer at work. I have access to ARC GIS 9. If you have ARC anything, Minnesota DNR has a data deli which you can pick and choose the layers you want for free. I talked with Dan W and he told me to get the maps for the area north west of Tofte (where we hunted last year) and west of Lutsen. Also I found a layer that shows ownership. There seems to be quite a few pockets of private land in that area so we need to be aware of that when doing some of the topo scouting. I still havent been able to create a viewable pdf of the entire area but I will make several smaller topo pdf documents tomorrow at lunch of the area we hunted last year and some beyond. If we pick a tentative camp then I can branch out from that point with pdf topo maps which I can post on here for all to see.

Jarrod Erdody
      Keymaster

I must not have it because I have no clue what ARC is….but I can figure things out fast… what’s ARC?

mobuckhunter

Arc View or Arc GIS is a software developed by a company call ESRI and it is the software of choice for people who want to make maps and tie data to those maps to be displayed spatially. I have the software so I can go to the Minnesota DNR data deli and download layers of maps like roads, topos, air photos, satellite photos, ownership lines,etc. Then I can stack them on top off each other making some parts of the layers transparent and create a customized map for viewing. I created some of the tofte area today 7 pdf files in all so that they could be veiwed with a pdf reader. But I just figured out I can’t upload pdf files to my photobucket. So I converted them to a JPEG
      here is one

but if you copy the jpeg and try to zoom in the quality isn’t as good as it is when you zoom in on the pdf. This is because when i created them i did it in a high resolution. I can make the maps if we can figure out how to share them in a pdf form for zooming in. they tend to me about 10mb in size in the pdf format.
      Thoughts????

Jarrod Erdody
      Keymaster

You can email me them in separate emails…use my address jarrod@erdody.com as I have a lot more storage on that one. I’ll then post them to our website with a link for everyone to download them.

mobuckhunter

will do

Anonymous

Cool, sounds like we’ll be getting some nice maps shortly. Thanks Chris/Jarrod!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.