U.P. Wilderness areas

Homepage Forums Talk Huntin’ Hunts and Hunting Properties U.P. Wilderness areas

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      kentonkiller

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/nextbukoutdoors.com/www/html/cms/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777

Porcupine Mts, Sylvania, Sturgeon River Gorge. Has anyone hunted any of these wilderness areas the past couple deer seasons? If so,Id love to hear how you did.

hawghunter65

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/nextbukoutdoors.com/www/html/cms/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777

here’s a link to the 2010 harvest data, which should help you decide if those areas are producing deer and deer of any size.

http://michigan.gov/documents/dnr/repor … 5512_7.pdf

kentonkiller

Thanks Hawg. I will check that out.

Lee Gatzke
      Keymaster

Welcome to the site kenton. Are you a yooper, or just looking to take in a wilderness hunt there?

kentonkiller

I am not a yooper Lee, but have been hunting up there since 1990. I have a camp on 300 acres in Baraga county, that is quite remote, but it is not true, walk in only, wilderness hunting, such as the porks, sylvania, etc. Mt dad has land in central wisconsin in the tigerton area, plus we lease 2 bordering 40’s. If you follow deer hunting at all, you know the giants that are in that area. My fathers neighbor shot a 190’s typical with the bow last season, maybe you seen it, it was featured in one of the popular outdoor magazines. The hunting in the area is fantastic… BUT…I would take the wilderness hunt, hands down anyday.

Lee Gatzke
      Keymaster

A walk in area, or public land wilderness is the most satisfying way to hunt, I totally agree. I used to own a 40 around Northland, WI close to some Tigerton land so I am very familiar with what has been going on around there lately. The experience of having a wide open landscape with room to roam, like you have when you hunt a large public tract, makes for a top quality hunt. Killing a deer under those circumstances is the ultimate hunt.

kentonkiller

Amen to that Lee. Taking an old slob from the backcountry is 5 times more rewarding then taking a wallhanger from “civilization”

Robert Richer
      Participant

Hey good morning,

born and semi-raised in Marquette Michigan until about 1976/1977, then moved to Wisconsin.

Hunted Slyvannia and UP a number of times, hunting with a tree climmer enabled me to be more elusive, thus I have 2 wall mounted trophies.

south facing hill sides, oak ridges along thickets early morning best, at least 2 to 4 miles in. No motorized areas are best, less pressure……….

It works for me…

Robert Richer
      Participant

Jarrod Erdody
      Keymaster

awesome stuff Robert 8)

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.