Shawn’s Place

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/nextbukoutdoors.com/www/html/cms/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777

Chapter #1 – Intro:

Hey all,

2011 found me fortunate enough to be able to purchase a piece of property in my area of Western Wisconsin. Before making the purchase, I studied the area a lot and I really believe with the right management, this property can provide all things a whitetail and even a turkey need (food, water, cover…etc). While my place isn’t located in the middle of Buffalo County, the potential is still there to have some quality animals.

Because my property needs habitat management, I’m starting this thread to document the changes over this season and beyond. I’m thrilled to start this because it’s not often that we get a chance to view what happens to a place from start to finish. Also, my house is on the property so we’ll be able to monitor how deer-human interaction (non-hunting) affect what I am trying to accomplish as we move along. My total acreage 56 acres so we’re talking about something that is more in line with what the average guy who owns property has to work with as opposed to the large scale farms often featured on tv.

As we move along, I’ll give you all a detailed description of the place, my future plans and what I am doing now to achieve my goal of having the best place I possibly can. I will also welcome any comments, accolades and criticisms as we go through this. In the end, maybe we’ll find out that as much as I tried, success is limited but then again maybe, just maybe we’ll have a Booner on the wall.

Enjoy the journey (I will also be shooting video of the progress)!

OHJRH

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/nextbukoutdoors.com/www/html/cms/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777

Good luck Shawn I will be watching these post. Its something I’m very interested in also and plan to buy some ground within the next year or two. Im excited for ya and can’t wait to see what your doing and your results!

Lee Gatzke
      Keymaster

I’m gonna enjoy this. Good idea to put this down on an ongoing thread to map your successes and failures. It’ll be a learning experience, a real labor of love. Go get em Shawn 8)

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

Thanks! Lee – Troy just got done walking my place an hour ago and had some very good things to say about what we can do here. I’ll be detailing this step in a later post.

Thanks again for the contact!

Lee Gatzke
      Keymaster

Sweet.

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

Chapter #1 – Lesson One: As you look at potential properties remember that it is no different that like buying homes. It’s much cheaper to buy “junk with potential” and fix it up the way you want it opposed to buying something that is already set up to the max. If you are able to focus on area age class and topography, you’ll be a step ahead.

baldsparrow
      Participant

I wish you all the best. I don’t see how you can miss when investing in land, just from a financial standpoit, never mind the hunting to be enjoyed. I have bought and sold a few places, always realising financial gain.

The one thing I had never paid particular attention to, when buying, was my neighborhood. I have never lived on these lands. It was troubling to learn that at my present location some folk like to kill any thing that moves, others poached, and still others thought nothing of tresspasing.

By you living on your land those concerns are likely minimal. So, good luck. I’ll be watching for the updates.

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

Jarrod has provided me access to I’m going to be posting future updates to the article section so it’s not flooded with comments between my posts. We can leave this area to discuss what I’ve posted.

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

New post in the article section.

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

I’ve posted another update.

baldsparrow
      Participant

Can’t find it.

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

It’s on the main site, articles section. 😀

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

Over the past few days I’ve put in two water holes, had the TSI done and also transplanted 40 red cedars on my place. I’ll be posting an updated article soon as I have a lot to share since my last posting.

hunt n nurse

Wow Shawn, you been a very busy guy!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

Just a little busy 😉 Thanks!

gjs4

Been on the same road- it is best to find ideal stand sites (WITH entry/exit potential), the figure out what areas do not offer bedding, feeding or social spaces and go to town from there…keep the saw at bay until you have a detail planned prepared…

like the house analogy mentioned before- many new homeowners do it 2 or 3 times because they needed it right in the end 🙂

tony lapratt’s camp was the best $$$ spent…but there is a book by an ohio guy named Herschberger called Chainsaws & Trophy Bucks- good read… there is also that sniperbowhunting.com site that covers this sort fo thing too.

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

It’s been awhile but I finally posted a recap to the season at my place on the Nextbuk homepage.

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

The latest and greatest from my place is now posted in our article section. It’s been a wonderful learning experience so far.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.