Northern Minnesota public land bucks

Homepage Forums Talk Huntin’ QA Northern Minnesota public land bucks

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  mandidawn 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #54430

    We have been traveling through northern Minnesota to get to Ontario for the past several years and have been seeing some dandy bucks on the stretch of highway that runs north out of Duluth to International Falls. It looks to be very similar terrain as the U.P. of Michigan, cedar swamps and poplars, tamaracks, wet & thick. Just wondering if any Bloodbro members have ventured into these public areas and had any success on slob bucks?

  • #54467

    Dewey
    Member

    I noticed the same thing traveling thru the same area you are speaking of.
    We had quite a few wolves run across the road between Orr and International Falls. There are plenty in that part of Minnesota so I’m sure if the wolves are around there must be a pretty good population of deer as well.
    I heard that Superior National Forest in that area is good for huge bucks. I remember reading that the average age of a buck shot up there is 3 1/2 years old. A story in a older Deer&Deer Hunting magazine had three guys gun hunting in the National Forest and by 9:00 A.M. they all three had bucks down all over 165″ 😯 😯

  • #54472

    Thanks for the info. This sounds like a place worth checking out! Each year we pass through there between midnight and 5am on our travels. No foolin – each time we travel that road I see a 130-150 class buck in the median or on the shoulder somewhere. Looks like the folks at Delorme will be selling another atlas today!

  • #54574

    From what I have experienced just rolling through the area and chatting with a few gas station attendants in the area – it is worth burning some vacation time in there. I would say the first trip or two should be during rifle season or late muzzle with some snow. Depending on what the job world has in store, I may make a trek up there for a few days to poke around also.

  • #54575

    A few years back i came across an article on a fella from northern Minnesota by the name of Noble Carlson. The picture showed him with a huge slob of a buck that he killed by snow-tracking it in that general area. Evidently, the guy is a local legend in those parts and has been quietly killing giants for the last 3-decades by tracking. He waits til the conditions are right for tracking and walks one down and flattens him, much like the Benoits of Vermont. Any of you hear of him?

  • #55068

    The Rav
    Member

    I’ve been through there and seen some monsters, but never hunted the area. Some day I plan to. Here are a few ideas to look over on your new DeLorme. Check out the Echo Trail near Nashwauk and Ely. Also, study up on the Gunflint Trail to the northwest of Duluth. You might also want to look into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. For me to be more specific than that, that is about the best I can do. But, I guarantee you, put in some homework and you’ll find some gold nuggets.

  • #56467

    ocontocnty
    Member

    “publiclandhunter” wrote: A few years back i came across an article on a fella from northern Minnesota by the name of Noble Carlson. The picture showed him with a huge slob of a buck that he killed by snow-tracking it in that general area. Evidently, the guy is a local legend in those parts and has been quietly killing giants for the last 3-decades by tracking. He waits til the conditions are right for tracking and walks one down and flattens him, much like the Benoits of Vermont. Any of you hear of him?

    I have heard about him. He is well known in that area as a tracker. He lives in a little town in the far NE of the arrowhead. He waits for a snowfall and cruises the roads till he finds a big track and gets on it. I’ve read a couple stories on his hunts. Sounds like an interesting guy.

  • #56506

    “ocontocnty” wrote:

    publiclandhunter wrote:A few years back i came across an article on a fella from northern Minnesota by the name of Noble Carlson. The picture showed him with a huge slob of a buck that he killed by snow-tracking it in that general area. Evidently, the guy is a local legend in those parts and has been quietly killing giants for the last 3-decades by tracking. He waits til the conditions are right for tracking and walks one down and flattens him, much like the Benoits of Vermont. Any of you hear of him?

    I have heard about him. He is well known in that area as a tracker. He lives in a little town in the far NE of the arrowhead. He waits for a snowfall and cruises the roads till he finds a big track and gets on it. I’ve read a couple stories on his hunts. Sounds like an interesting guy.

    I have an older book that has some info on N.C. It’s real hard to find any info on this guy. He does get the job done!

  • #56521

    Magicman,

    if you ever come across any info on this guy let me know. Heck, if you can, kid-nap the dude! We could interrogate him about his tactics and write a book about how he does it! ………only kidding!

    Actually, if by chance you ever did cross paths with him in your neck of the woods, get his contact info. I do some freelance outdoor writing and would love to write a story about him. I’d give you a finders fee!

  • #56538

    “publiclandhunter” wrote: Magicman,

    if you ever come across any info on this guy let me know. Heck, if you can, kid-nap the dude! We could interrogate him about his tactics and write a book about how he does it! ………only kidding!

    Actually, if by chance you ever did cross paths with him in your neck of the woods, get his contact info. I do some freelance outdoor writing and would love to write a story about him. I’d give you a finders fee!

    I found this book in an antique store: For big bucks only. written for the north american hunting club by Jeff murray. Both Noble and Miles Keller get a lot of mention. There is some detail on how Noble tracks his deer in there. Good book but it might be real tough to find a copy. And you can’t have mine lol.

  • #56553

    kurt
    Member

    jeff murray mentions him in his moonphase hunting book too

  • #56644

    blackwolf
    Member

    A lot of country up there. I have found a few good spots but spent a lot of boot leather doing it. A lot of wolves, but still pretty good deer numbers. Main problem is gun season starting on Nov 7 just when the bow hunting gets good. I am hoping to bowhunt the gun season this year with a couple more remote spots. Illegail baiting, even in remote locations can also be a big problem. JIm

  • #56646

    DevinJD2007
    Member

    I found this book in an antique store: For big bucks only. written for the north american hunting club by Jeff murray. Both Noble and Miles Keller get a lot of mention. There is some detail on how Noble tracks his deer in there. Good book but it might be real tough to find a copy. And you can’t have mine lol.

    If anyone is interested in this book “For Big Bucks Only” that magicman is talking about there is one on archerytalk right now for $15 to your door if anyone is interested here is the link…
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=954381

  • #56647

    DevinJD2007
    Member

    He just took $4 off the price so its now $11 to your door… 8)

  • #56765

    Magicman,

    Nice 10-pointer in the thread that talks about Greg Miller! You kill him tracking? If so, we need to try to hook-up on a big-woods hunt and track some down! I am addicted to tracking! Hell, I can’t get enough of it! Looks like you have a Benoit special 7600 with the shorter barrel…..nice gun! I hunted with a 760 Gamester in .35 rem. Now, I use the old-school Model 94 .30-30 with 170 silvertips. Holds a lot of ammo (love to bang away at them as they peel off) and balances just right. Lightweight and comes up to my eye perfect. I hung a williams firesight front bead for quick acquisition. Come November.pray for snow!

  • #56768

    From what I have seen while rolling through at highway speeds, it appears that there is a fair amount of pressure in some areas and a lack of pressure in others. The best tracking for me has always been in areas of low-deer densities, which usually equates to low-hunter densities. The lack of hunters and lack of concentrated deer typically adds up to give you some older-class bucks roaming the haunts. I hate crowds, never been much for hanging with the “rest of the hunters”, so I love a remote wilderness setting with room to roam!

    I am starting up a new business venture and hope to be making decent money to where I could possibly make a wilderness excursion to MN possible. I will keep you updated.

  • #56773

    “publiclandhunter” wrote: Magicman,

    Nice 10-pointer in the thread that talks about Greg Miller! You kill him tracking? If so, we need to try to hook-up on a big-woods hunt and track some down! I am addicted to tracking! Hell, I can’t get enough of it! Looks like you have a Benoit special 7600 with the shorter barrel…..nice gun! I hunted with a 760 Gamester in .35 rem. Now, I use the old-school Model 94 .30-30 with 170 silvertips. Holds a lot of ammo (love to bang away at them as they peel off) and balances just right. Lightweight and comes up to my eye perfect. I hung a williams firesight front bead for quick acquisition. Come November.pray for snow!

    I do shoot a 7600. It’s a gun I’ve owned for about 30 years now. It has a standard length barrel. I love it because I can Damn near shoot it like a shotgun. When I pull it up it just lines up on my target. I have shoot thru mounts and always use my iron sites on running deer. To answer your first question: I shot that buck tracking in northern Wis.

  • #150159

    mandidawn
    Participant

    Does anyone still check this?
    I’m Noble Carlson’s granddaughter. This was really fun to read!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.