Jarrod’s CO elk hunt

Homepage Forums Talk Huntin’ Hunts and Hunting Properties Jarrod’s CO elk hunt

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      john

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/nextbukoutdoors.com/www/html/cms/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777

Hey all. Hope the final preparations are being made for a fun and successful 2011 season.

Figured I’d post some info when I can as Jarrod is currently in CO chasing elk with a muzzleloader. The season opened Saturday, the 10th. I haven’t heard from him since Thursday (he is able to get a cell phone signal about 1.5 miles down the trail from camp. Arriving a couple days early, he said it had been raining in the area for about a week straight, and they are camped up in the clouds at around 10,500 feet (and probably hunting even higher). Hopefully, the weather has calmed down a bit and will provide for some good hunting.

Summer scouting reports from some people in the area seemed to indicate there should be plenty of elk and some nice bulls. I’ll pass along any latest info I get, which will hopefully include the demise of a bull elk.

Good luck to everyone this fall!!!

OHJRH

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /var/www/nextbukoutdoors.com/www/html/cms/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777

Nice to see you on here John and I was wondering how his hunt is going. Well hopefully he knocks down a stud. Are you doing any out of state hunts this year?

Lee Gatzke
      Keymaster

Thanks for the update.

john

Well, late last night after I posted, Jarrod checked in w/ an update. He had come off the mountain and into town for dinner. No bull has hit the ground yet. He did have opportunities at 2 smaller 5×5’s, but passed on them. One of those he said he came upon as it was bedded in some thick timber. Jarrod said it was laying on it’s side sound asleep! Too bad it wasn’t a bit bigger.

He mentioned that the elk are really quiet right now, w/ hardly any bugling, making it a little tougher to locate elk in the thicker timber. Not sure if it has to do with all the coyotes, as he said those things are howling and yipping all over the place. The main strategy has been to travel around on the quad, and hike to various glassing points. Sounds like he is able to glass for quite a ways and has located some small groups of elk, but nothing worthy of a serious stalk as of yet. A friend who is bowhunting did see a nice 6×6 maybe in the 320 class, so hopefully that one will reappear.

At least the weather has improved for hunting purposes. Some rain at times, but not the perpetual downpour it was before the season. He’s been hunting at or above 11,000 feet, too, so the elevation is always a kicker!

As for me, no big hunts planned this fall, but I am hooking up the trailer and heading out to Yellowstone the first week of October for some fly fishing. I’m hoping for some cold weather and to catch the brown trout spawning run up the Madison River. I was out there last year in mid-September and also a couple years prior to that. What an incredible place! Plenty of giant bulls there, but I cant shoot them, of course. Did also see 1 grizzly last time.

That’s the scoop as of now…will be sure to report any new info.

Lee Gatzke
      Keymaster

Jarrod, elk, and rain seem to go together. I think he’s waiting for some serious downpour to get on to a big boy. 😉 . Send us some pics of some Madison River trout 8) . Good luck John.

john

Heard from Jarrod again Thursday. The crew had made a trip into town to dry out…it had been raining, then turned to snow. A couple inches of heavy, wet stuff, and clothes managed to get a little wet. No bull for Jarrod yet, but his friend’s dad did connect on a small bull. So it’s good to see some success!!

Jarrod had passed on another small bull, and said that he has heard a few bugles. Maybe the rut activity will heat up as September progresses? He glassed up a decent bull, and figured it may be possible to pattern him, but when he got to the area, he found another hunter in the vicinity. Oh well, such is public land hunting. Sounds like he has been doing some early morning hiking through the timber navigating by compass and GPS to get to the vantage points. Elk are in the area, so hopefully it’s just a matter of time.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.