Hog Hunting

Homepage Forums Talk Huntin’ Boars Hog Hunting

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      baldsparrow
      Participant

Hog hunting is gaining popularity in some places. Especialy the places where hunters/morons turn domestic hogs to the wild.

It blows my mind how often a few hunters go out of their way to provide “amo” for the animal rights community.

Any body hear of this?

Lee Gatzke
      Keymaster

I haven’t heard of “hunters” releasing hogs to populate the landscape so they’ll have hogs to shoot. I have heard of others releasing them, or having them escape from farms. Once they’re adapted to the wild they’re next to impossible to get rid of.

baldsparrow
      Participant

Apparently turning hogs to the wild is not that uncommon in AR. Must be a red neck thing.

Greywolf

As soon as a domestic hog walks out the boundaries of his confines he’s feral. Hogs in Hawaii were brought from other islands Tahiti and Marquises Islands back before the written record of the island existed. as well as the Days of the founder Capt Cook. yes, it’s true that some hogs we abandoned or just released, but that number is quite small.
      There are still some wild cattle roaming the Island of Hawaii (big Island) with the blood lines of Capt Cooks time.

I’ve been involved with hog eradication in Hawaii for 20 years, one boar and 3 sows will reproduce or have the hand in reproducing 13,000 – 16,000 hogs in a 3 year period. Just to keep the population under control you need to remove 7 out of every litter just to maintain a level population.

On average I remove 3-10 hogs per week during the “Hot Cycle” of trapping, 60% are sows of the 60%, 75% are pregnant in various stages of reproduction.

They can be quite the challenge when the numbers get smaller, in a group of 10-30 they make hard targets as they never stand still for any length of time. in a group of 2-5 they get very wary.

Hog Fact: A hog can cut a human track 3 weeks old and track him from point A to Point B

hunt n nurse

I believe they have the best nose on the planet. Makes up for their rather poor eyesite.

Plenty of hogs here to hunt and now, chopper hunting is gonna be the “new” way to hunt for those so inclined.

Lee Gatzke
      Keymaster

Shooting pigs from a chopper 😯 . That should make a dent in the population.

baldsparrow
      Participant

Plenty of hogs here to hunt and now, chopper hunting is gonna be the “new” way to hunt for those so inclined.

I’m wondering if this method should be called hunting. Then again, “hunting” by remote controls has come on the scene on a few private hunting preserves. It won’t be that long before I’ll be able to kill some critter in TX while watching the Packers from my recliner in WI. All I need is a lap top and money. Actualy, I understand these hunts are available today. Lord have Mercy!

Greywolf

Our count is low for the year only 42 this year, but then again, it’s been wet so the have a tendency to stay in the mountains where the mountain fruit grows like wildfire when it’s wet.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.