Hi From Minnesota

Homepage Forums Talk Huntin’ Food Plots Hi From Minnesota

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ethical-hunter 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

ethical-hunter
    Participant

Hi Lee, this is Jim Etzel from North central MN. I talked with you and Shawn a few years ago at the deer classic about balancing soils. I was at the MN honey producers convention this year and Pheasants forever was there talking about the benefits of prairie plants for bees, deer,turkeys,grouse. I know a lot of people like the convention agriculture plants for their wildlife plots but native wild flowers and grasses are excellent food sources and bedding areas for deer and other critters. Something to think about. I’ve started my own consulting business regarding balancing soils for anyone that grows plants of all kinds. Just an FYI. Just watched Hill country Bucks, I always have to say, NICE JOB!! Hope all is well in Wisconsin and Michigan.

Lee Gatzke
    Keymaster

Thanks Jim. I think you’re on to something with starting up a business incorporating native plants as important food and cover for deer and other wildlife. I just had some food plots planted (oats, rape) and the outlook for them taking is poor, based on the dry conditions. Native plants are much more drought resistant, and once they’re established, very attractive to deer. Best of luck, and keep us informed as to what your doing.

Lee Gatzke
    Keymaster

Another thing, what is your web site and Facebook page?

ethical-hunter
    Participant

Lee, I am working on website and Facebook. I will pass those along when I get them. Natives are the way to go and prairie moon put a mix together specifically for food plots. If any one is interested, I will pass that along. The up front expense is high, but the long term benefits far out weigh the short term investment.

Lee Gatzke
    Keymaster

I’d like to see that info

ethical-hunter
    Participant

I will get the mix and the prices for you Lee. Don’t be shocked, it is $500.00/acre. I would suggest doing just one acre, helping it establish, and transplant your desired plants onto more of your plots. Once this is establish, you are set. No planting, spraying, etc. They do require mowing and possibly burning to get the best results. I will get the list. I would suggest e-mailing or calling prairie moon nursery in Winona, MN. I believe I spoke with Steve. He could put something together for you on the budget you specify and give you pointers on establishing it. Hope this helps.

Shawn Vanlandingham
    Participant

Great to hear from you again! You need to get some covert trail cams on these native plots to really sell what you are saying and to compete with the buck on a bag blends.

ethical-hunter
    Participant

Shawn, it has already been done for me by all the people who put hunting videos together. Where do you see these big bucks bedding, in CRP LAND, AKA,prairie land. There are specific plants that deer target in these areas, one specifically is Canada milk vetch. Prairie Moon put a list together for me, as I said earlier in this post, that is very expensive. They could put mixes together for people if they specify their budgets and their needs for the plots. The bonus to prairie plots is, they do best, once established, during the hottest part of the summer. If drought comes to visit, well you will have an established prairie that thrives in those conditions. My business is targeting the soil using the Albrecht method of balancing soils. I am an independent dealer selling Midwestern Bio-Ag fertilizers and Mycorrhizal Applications Mycorrhizal Fungi products. Midwestern Bio-Ag also has seed for alfalfa and other legume crops and cover crops. Balanced soils will tolerate drought better also once you have achieved a biologically active soil. Sorry to ramble on but this is something that I feel people who are manipulating the landscape should be looking at as landscaping option.

Lee Gatzke
    Keymaster

I am very interested in establishing a plot using native plants. I’ll be looking up Prairie Moon Nursery soon.

ethical-hunter
    Participant

Good luck Lee. Prairie plots, I hope, will be the wave of the future for
    wildlife folks wanting to attract all kinds of wildlife. The best part is, once a year you get to be a fire bug and burn them. If fire scares you, rent a brush mower and mow them once a year and your done.

Shawn Vanlandingham
    Participant

How well do these plot hold up under snow? I may use this in an area instead of NWSG as long as a snow won’t flatten them.

ethical-hunter
    Participant

Hi Lee,Jarod,Shawn and gang! Jim Etzel here from North central MN checking in. How was your hunting seasons? Hopefully the freezers are full. Question for you and who ever else wants to chime in. How many people test the soil in your food plots and what do you test for? How often do you test if you do? I want some feed back for my business of consulting and fertilizer sales. How many put biology down also. Any and all feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all that you do for the hunting community.
    Jim

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.