Finished with my Taxidermy Course!

Homepage Forums Wildlife Art Taxidermy Finished with my Taxidermy Course!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jarrod Erdody 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

sherej17

I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of the course and will be practicing more taxidermy in the future. Plus this will cut down on alot of bills that seem to follow after hunting season, and maybe bring in some more income! Heres a few pics of the deer that I mounted;the 138″ 11-pointer that I arrowed last year.

Attached files

OHJRH

Pics are kinda fuzzy but its looking good! Always nice when you can do your own mounts and save the cash.

Lee Gatzke
    Keymaster

The pics are fuzzy but it looks like you’ve taken a good first step. There’s quite a few taxidermists among us so fire away if you have any questions, or just post some pics of your latest stuff. 8)

sherej17

Yeah I took the picutres in the basement with my cellphone. Ill try to get some better ones up. Hes still got garbage bags in his nose and hasnt been painted yet, but I thought it looked pretty good. For some reason a cowlik appeared on his back that I never noticed. Is that normal to have some cowliks somewhere? Rhinehardt, the instructor, failed to mention a few things from all of his students. He was alright but overall, I dont think I would take him again.

Lee Gatzke
    Keymaster

All kinds of changes happen as the heads dry. You can put hair gel on that cowlick, then put a piece of screen (screen from a screen door or window) over that and staple or pin it down. Let it dry for a couple weeks then remove the screen and it should lay flat again.

Jarrod Erdody
    Keymaster

Cowlicks are normal…I’ve seen them quite a bit on capes over the years…

VinceColbert
    Participant

Man, I wish I could learn taxidermy as well.

Jarrod Erdody
    Keymaster

Vince, there are tons of resources for learning taxidermy. You can do it if you want to! I recommend YouTube, taxidermy groups on Facebook, apprenticing with an experienced taxidermist, subscribing to Breakthrough Magazine or Taxidermy Today Magazine. Go to a local hunting tradeshow that has a state taxidermy competition included, and you’ll be able to go to seminars there as well as talk with experienced taxidermists. If you need any other help, drop me an email. Good luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.