Camcorder Recommendations for Hunters

Homepage Forums Talk Huntin’ Equipment Camcorder Recommendations for Hunters

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Jarrod Erdody
      Keymaster

I added this to our Season Reports as this is certainly one of the most common questions I get from folks:

https://nextbukoutdoors.com/video-camera-recommendations-for-hunters/

Thanks Jarrod! Little things like this help everyone.

I was thinking about filming my hunts next season because I am putting many new tactics from your dvds to work this season, which were amazing, keep them coming!!!

I wanting to get the Canon Vixia HF S20 which a wide angle lens and shotgun mic. What do you think of the setup with the LW camera arm???

Thanks Jarrod,
      Stuart

Jarrod Erdody
      Keymaster

Thought I’d update this with our latest find in the self-filming department. We’re now using the Insane Archery bow mount and a Kodak Playsport camera. This combo is awesome for filming your own hunt. It allows you to work the camera (which includes a zoom!) with just your grip hand. Check em out in our online store if you’re interested.

https://nextbukoutdoors.com/store/details.php?prodId=63

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

I would even suggest buying two in case you smash yours in the tailgate like I just did! lol

Lama

Anyone use this set up? how did it going and what was the footage like?

Jarrod Erdody
      Keymaster

I really like this setup after having used it all fall now. Bows differ of course so you’ll get varying levels of shock at the shot. When you frame by frame by Kansas buck I killed on tape, it really did a very solid job. There are pros and cons to all self-filming setups, and I’ve found the InsaneArchery (http://www.insanearchery.com) bracket to to be the best bow mount. Camera choices vary but so far this Kodak Playsport does it for me. The ZX3 is the model to get (not the newer ZX5). HD, waterproof, silent (turn off the beep mode), one-hand operation, tapeless (SD card)…it’s good stuff. Don’t bother with the zoom on this.

Lama

Thanks……..might have a xmas gift for me……:)

Tines

“Jarrod” wrote: I really like this setup after having used it all fall now. Bows differ of course so you’ll get varying levels of shock at the shot. When you frame by frame by Kansas buck I killed on tape, it really did a very solid job. There are pros and cons to all self-filming setups, and I’ve found the InsaneArchery (http://www.insanearchery.com) bracket to to be the best bow mount. Camera choices vary but so far this Kodak Playsport does it for me. The ZX3 is the model to get (not the newer ZX5). HD, waterproof, silent (turn off the beep mode), one-hand operation, tapeless (SD card)…it’s good stuff. Don’t bother with the zoom on this.

Are you using just the Kodak Playsport? I’m curious if that is “enough” or if you’re also utilizing a camera and arm.

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

Hey Tines, we are also filming with another larger camera. If I were filming just for myself, I think this would be plenty sufficient. As is, I would feel fine using this footage if a buck had me pinned down and I was unable to move my larger camera arm assuming there was adequate light. I would say you lose light with this camera 5-10 minutes earlier than you would with something larger.

Tines

“ShawnV” wrote: Hey Tines, we are also filming with another larger camera. If I were filming just for myself, I think this would be plenty sufficient. As is, I would feel fine using this footage if a buck had me pinned down and I was unable to move my larger camera arm assuming there was adequate light. I would say you lose light with this camera 5-10 minutes earlier than you would with something larger.

Thanks!

Matt3

Anyone try a replay xd or something similar? Could mount it to stabilizer or head mount. I kinda like the head mount so even after the shot you can see it. We are using them more and more in paintball and other shooting sports.

I have one on my Christmas list for the wife 🙂

Matt

Jarrod Erdody
      Keymaster

Not familiar with the Replay XD, but it appears to be quite similar to the VIO’s I’ve used. And we’re giving away a GoPro camera in one of our Facebook contests so keep an eye out for that 8)

Hat cams have their pros and cons. The worse parts are that there’s more adjustment time when initially getting setup on stand (and you have to wait until daylight if it’s a morning hunt). You also can’t be fidgeting with your hat at all once it’s setup. And, the field of view is large, so the deer usually appears a LONG ways away…so I’ve found them best for 20 yards and in… besides these though, it’s an awesome option for hands-free filming of your hunts where you don’t have to worry about the camera at crunch time 😀

karrolin

What camcorder would be suitable for producing wedding videos? I have looked around and don’t believe i need a ‘pro’ level camera, i do plan to start a Business filming wedding videos, as long as the camcorder is hd and not a cheap rip off how good would the picture quality be?

Jarrod Erdody
      Keymaster

Give a look to the Sony HDR-PJ710V. Shawn and Lee have recently started using this and so far, it’s performing great. About $1200. There are several of these mid-range cameras that can fix the bill. Audio should be an important consideration for you as well, so plan on using a separate, better mic, and that your camera will accommodate it.

Shawn Vanlandingham
      Participant

I have photographed weddings professionally for 10 years now and I will say this about the video end. You need a minimum of two cameras (three would be ideal) and maybe a back up. Remember this is the most important day ever for the bride and you cannot get back any mistakes you make and they are paying you good money to do a good job.

My suggestion to charge enough to pay for good equipment. Figure spending close to $5,000 (The Panasonic models in this price range work great in low light) for your primary camera and mics (do not skimp on sound), $1800 (I would consider the Sony I just purchased) for a second camera and shotgun mic and $2000 on a DSLR to shoot video with a quality lens (For the DSLR check out the EOS-M or the TS4i from Canon).

Who knows, the Sony I have might be every bit as good a $5000 camera so maybe you can get by for a little less and put more money into good mics. You’ll also need some camera lights, extra batteries and etc so at a minimum plan on this being a $5,000 investment and spending upwards of $12,000 on the high end.

Good Luck!

Jarrod Erdody
      Keymaster

Just a bump on this post as I recently purchased Canon’s newest in the EOS series, the T5i. I mainly chose this because of the new STM lens available with it (and only with the EOS series)…they always have a way of pigeon-holing ya to certain models and features, but I am very happy with it so far. I have a couple client shoots coming up so I’ll learn more and more in the coming weeks.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.