why this insatiable need for chemicals

Homepage Forums Talk Huntin’ Food Plots why this insatiable need for chemicals

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jim 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Jim
    Participant

Hi to all. Jim Etzel writing again. I see that you publish a lot on the use of chemicals to treat your food plots. Why? They are not healthy for you, the soil life, the deer, turkeys and other wildlife that visit your intended plots. Weeds(aka) plants that we do not have a use for, yet, show up because of the conditions that are there. Mineral excess or deficiencies, soil compaction, excess rain, soil type, ph. Once you change the conditions, you can change the plant species that will flourish. To say it will be weed free, No. But ask your self, why do I need these perfect plots? Plant diversity is your friend, not your enemy. If something gets out of control, them you need to take measures to stop that like discing, using plants to stop other plants from take over. Once you give a piece of ground full sunlight, the natural system is designed to cover the earth with plants, first succession plants are known as weeds. I know there are better ways to treat the soil than to kill everything will toxic chemicals. Over use of Nitrogen is another issue. It is the only element you can grow.Legumes! Don’t overuse it. It goes up in the air or down to the ground water.

shawn vanlandingham
    Participant

Hey Jim! Thanks for the quick note, I personally do not use any chemical weed control on my plots. You’re right that there are great ways to get food plots without the use of it. I’ve learned a lot since I last posted about Roundup Free plots and there are even better ways to do it than what I posted. I also know of a seed company that plans to go with an organic line in the near future.

Jarrod Erdody
    Keymaster

Hi Jim! I too have been chemical free with my plots for a few years now. We do get asked a lot about the use of them, especially Skip because he farms so much ground. So it’s good to know which ones do what, etc. I would be ecstatic if you’d like to write an article(s) about organic food plotting for our site here, and I’d be happy to publish them and promote them. I agree they are the best scenario.

Jim
    Participant

Jarrod, it is a breath of fresh air to hear both of you have gone chemical free. I was at the MN Deer classic this year with a booth for soil consulting. A lot of people walked by. Some stopped and visited and were interested in restoring the soil using a soil test, rotational plantings, and a little bit of hard work. I will begin putting something together. Thanks again for all that you guys do for hunting and the outdoors.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.